Monday, July 22, 2013

What i'm giving up this summer.

***Let me start by saying that the following post is in no way intended to persuade you to my way of thinking. It is a personal choice I've made in MY life.***

What i'm giving up: red meat

Reason: I recently went to visit a relative in the hospital who had to undergo surgery to remove fibroids. One of the fibroids removed was about 10 inches long (can you imagine a fibroid that big in your body?) in addition to several smaller ones. Pictures were taken of the actual fibroids that came out of her and I was floored by what I saw. In speaking with her, she disclosed that her doctors had advised her to make a life style change when it comes to the food she put in her body. Her team of doctors believe that red meat feeds tumors. I didn't need much convincing after that. 

How does this decision affect me? To be honest, I don't eat that much red meat now. I do however like an occasional lamb chop, beef burger and hotdog. The good thing about this decision I've made is that I have the support of my hubby. He's also decided to decrease the amount of red meat in his diet. He is the general grocery shopper for the household and has pledged not to bring it into the house (he's such a sport).

Have you given up anything or plan to? 

Links to articles about red meat:

7 comments:

  1. I hear ya! wow 10 inches long!! Yikes!.My husband and I cut down on red meat as well. Plus i have cholesterol so the Dr said to cut down on red meat. It is good to eat it once in awhile. All we eat is chicken and turkey.I need to add fish to the menu as well. It is good to have a supporting spouse :) Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't think I could do it without the support of hubby.

      Delete
  2. SD - Sorry your relative had Fibroids. Each doctor will tell you something different. Anything is good in moderation and if it's cooked properly. I eat read meat about 3 times a week but I make sure I eat lots of fruit and vegetables as well. Good luck on your no red meat.
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Moderation is key with all foods we eat.

      Delete
  3. I can't give up fried food but last year I didn't even touch a lay's chip. It was cause of Dermatitis, it killed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Will definitely check out your blog.

    ReplyDelete