1. Love the hair you were born with. It wasn't until I learned to accept the hair God has given me did I start to see progress.
2. Keep it Simple. Our hair does not need a bunch of products to thrive. All that is needed is water for moisture and a oil or butter to seal the moisture in.
3. Low Manipulation and Protective Styling is key to length retention. It is perfectly okay to let your hair down now and again and on occasion let it blow in the wind. But too much styling and wearing it out can have negative consequences. My favourite protective style for length retention is two strand twists which 95% of the time, my hair is in.
4. Deep Conditioning. This is extremely important for not only easy detangling but also in adding a moisture boost to dry tendrils. I make it a habit to deep condition my hair at least once every two weeks.
5. Heat is the devil. If you're natural or have relaxed hair, too much heat is bad for your hair. Heat dries your hair out thus causing it to break easily. If you choose to apply heat to your hair, always use a heat protectant.
6. Our hair likes satin at bedtime. Satin bonnets or satin pillow cases allows the hair to retain moisture and prevents breakage.
I hope you find these tips useful.